Monday, May 7, 2007

... Post Nap Wonky-ness

Ok... So i really dont remember what i wrote before this... I only hope it was coherant-ish. So here is my second attempt...

I think I mentioned before that I met a guy from Galway (who warned me it is Gaul-way not Gal-way... so did the customs officer when I forgot...) I told him i was going to be living on Shantalla Street... and that is when he stopped..and giggled... oh yes he giggled. He told me that when he was a kid they called it "Shanty Street" and said it is like a friendly ghetto... haha great eh? but he assured me that it was still a safe place and that it wasnt comparable to detroit or anything

Apparently pretty much everything is harmless here... he said that even the type of sharks around ireland are harmless... no snakes, no cockroaches, lack of squirrels... the only poisonous thing he could think of was a brown jellyfish but even those he said, just leave a nasty sting... but the purple jelly fish are fine to touch... he told me that when he was a kid they used to have jelly fish fights... so THAT is my new goal!!!
I MUST hit someone with a purple jelly fish before my time here is done.

So after I arrived, I was left with the tricky task of locating my luggage, finding the super high priced bus to take me to town, then to figure out where i was dropped off and how i was gonna get to my hostel... all was well until i realized that they name the streets by the block and there are NO straight lines... so i walked in a couple circles but eventually i found it!

The hostel is interesting... the manager is a real nice guy but lays on the sexual harrassment thick (ex. hey sexy or i am only talking to you because you are beautiful... which after my 28 hours of awakeness, i can assure you i was not!)
My room is with 20 other girls and can only be found through a ten minute maze (the building is surprisingly larger then it appears) the trek ends in the basement... but the rooms is big, bright and has many windows so it isnt bad at all. I did, however, have to take the coldest shower of my life... and then i found out that the taps were just mislabelled :(... it was FREEZING but it sure did wake me up!

I wandered the BUSY city a bit then met a girl in my hostel who i went for dinner with... good ol' shwarma! felt just like home. After that i went to bed... but woke up and here i am!

Oh I forgot... i also spoke with Bekah my soon to be roomate. She had called me earlier in the week telling me that the house was really dirty... and i thought "well if i can survive eastern europe i am sure i can surivive this..." but when i called her today (with my new spiffy phone) she said that she and my landlordy/roomate have been cleaning it and that for some reason i got a really nice room! haha YES... I WIN! She also said that there will be a 24 year old girl from spain and a 26 year old guy from germany, who are both doing their masters at the university and they are supposively extremely nice... HOORAY!

Well that is all the news for now, tomorrow i will have my program orientation at 11 am and then i am going to further explore the city and probably seek out st. stephan's green and trinity college for a look around.

Take Care everyone!

No comments: